- Arts & Humanities
- Ed Technology
Students create posters showing the effects of different dangerous drugs on the body.
- research and learn information about the effects that dangerous drugs (for example, heroin, cocaine, crack, alcohol) have on the body;
- demonstrate creative thinking and creative writing skills in designing posters illustrating some of the effects of dangerous drugs;
- work together in cooperative groups.
drugs, abuse, dangers, body, heroin, alcohol, cocaine
Following are suggested materials for each group; students may choose other available materials.
- one sheet of construction paper, tagboard, or poster board
- pens or pencils
- markers, crayons, or paint
- computers with Internet access or library resources on drug abuse
- Briefly review the names of and some general information about such dangerous drugs as marijuana, heroin, and cocaine.
- Divide the class into groups of two or three students. Assign each group a drug. Have each group gather information from Internet or library sources about the effects the assigned drug has on the body. Two suggested sites are Partnership for Drug Free America: Drug Finder and The National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information: Alcohol & Drug Facts.
- Provide materials for students to create posters. Tell each group to show one of the effects of the assigned drug and include a slogan or statement to go with the illustration. Encourage students to be creative!
- Have each group present the completed poster to the class. Ask students to describe their posters and explain how they developed their ideas for the illustrations and slogans or statements.
Variation: For younger students, provide information on one drug each day over a period of days. Discuss with students some of the effects each dangerous drug has on the body. Write the effects on a chart or on the board. Then have the class work together as a group to brainstorm and design a poster on one of the effects.
Evaluate students' posters and presentations.
Lesson Plan Source
: NPH-H.K-4.1 NPH-H.K-4.3 NPH-H.5-8.1 NPH-H.5-8.3 NPH-H.9-12.1 NPH-H.9-12.3