Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention.--
- Analyze how behavior can impact health maintenance and disease
- Describe the interrelationships of
mental, emotional, social, and physical health
- Explain the impact of personal health behaviors on the functioning of body systems.
- Analyze how the family, peers, and community influence the
health of individuals.
- Analyze how the environment
influences the health of the community.
- Describe how
to delay onset and reduce risks of potential health
problems during adulthood.
- Analyze how public health
policies and government regulations influence health promotion and disease prevention.
- Analyze how the prevention and control of health problems are influenced by research and medical advances.
Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid health information and health-promoting products and services--
- Evaluate the validity of health information,
products, and services.
- Demonstrate the ability to evaluate resources
from home, school, and community that provide valid health information.
- Evaluate factors that influence personal selection of health products and services.
- Demonstrate the ability to access school and
community health services for self and others.
- Analyze the cost and accessibility of health care
- Analyze situations requiring professional
Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and reduce health risks--
- Analyze the role of individual responsibility for enhancing health.
- Evaluate a personal health assessment to determine
strategies for health enhancement and risk reduction.
- Analyze the short-term and long-term consequences of
safe, risky and harmful behaviors.
- Develop strategies to improve or maintain personal, family and
- Develop injury prevention and management strategies for personal, family, and community health.
- Demonstrate ways to avoid and reduce threatening
- evaluate strategies to manage stress.
Students will analyze the influence of culture, media, technology, and other factors on health--
- Analyze how cultural diversity enriches and challenges health behaviors.
- Evaluate the effect of media and other factors on personal, family, and
- Evaluate the impact of technology on personal, family, and community health.
- Analyze how information from the community influences health.
Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health--
skills for communicating effectively with family, peers,
- Analyze how interpersonal communication
- Demonstrate healthy ways to express
needs, wants, and feelings.
- Demonstrate ways to
communicate care, consideration, and respect of self and
- Demonstrate strategies for solving
interpersonal conflicts without harming self or others.
- Demonstrate refusal, negotiation, and collaboration
skills to avoid potentially harmful situations.
- Analyze the possible causes of conflict in schools,
families, and communities.
- Demonstrate strategies used to
Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting and decision-making skills to enhance health--
- Demonstrate the
ability to utilize various strategies when making
decisions related to health needs and risks of young
- Analyze health concerns that require
collaborative decision making.
- Predict immediate
and long-term impact of health decisions on the
individual, family, and community.
- Implement a plan for attaining a personal health goal.
progress toward achieving personal health goals.
- Formulate an effective plan for lifelong health.
Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health--
- Evaluate the
effectiveness of communication methods for accurately
expressing health information and ideas.
- Express information and opinions about health issues.
- Utilize strategies to overcome barriers when
communicating information, ideas, feelings, and opinions
about health issues.
- Demonstrate the ability to influence
and support others in making positive health
- Demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively when
advocating for healthy communities.
- Demonstrate the
ability to adapt health messages and communication
techniques to the characteristics of a particular