Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention.--
- Describe relationships between personal health behaviors and individual well being.
- Identify indicators of mental, emotional, social, and physical health during childhood.
- Describe the basic structure and functions of the human body systems.
- Describe how the family influences personal health.
- Describe how physical, social, and emotional environments influence personal health.
- Identify common health problems of children.
- Identify health problems that should be detected and treated early.
- Explain how childhood injuries and illnesses can be prevented or treated.
Students will identify characteristics of valid health information nd health-promoting products and services.--
- Demonstrate the ability to locate resourcesfrom home, school and community that provide valid health information.
- Explain how media influences the selection of health information, products and services.
- Demonstrate the ability to locate school and community health helpers.
Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and reduce health risks--
- Identify responsible health behaviors.
- Identify personal health needs.
- Compare behaviors that are safe to those that are risky or
- Demonstrate strategies to improve or maintain personal health.
- Develop injury prevention and management strategies for personal
- Demonstrate ways to avoid and reduce threatening situations.
- Apply skills to manage
Students will analyze the influence of culture, media, technology, and other factors on health--
- Describe how culture influences personal health behaviors.
- Explain how media influences thoughts, feelings, and
- Describe ways technology can influence personal health.
- Explain how information from
school and family influences health.
Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health--
NPH-H.K-4.5 USING COMMUNICATION SKILLS TO PROMOTE HEALTH
- Distinguish between verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Describe characteristics needed to be a responsible friend and
- Demonstrate healthy ways to express needs, wants, and feelings.
- Demonstrate ways to communicate care, consideration, and respect of
self and others.
- Demonstrate attentive listening skills to build and maintain healthy relationships.
- Demonstrate refusal skills to enhance health.
- Differentiate between negative and positive behaviors
used in conflict situations.
- Demonstrate non-violent strategies to resolve conflicts.
Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting and decision-making skills to enhance health--
- Demonstrate the ability to
apply a decision-making process to health issues and problems.
- Explain when to ask for assistance in making
health-related decisions and setting health goals.
- Predict outcomes of positive health decisions.
- Set a personal health goal and track progress toward
Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health--
- Describe a variety of
methods to convey accurate health information and ideas.
- Express information and opinions about
- Identify community agencies that
advocate for healthy individuals, families, and
- Demonstrate the ability to influence
and support others in making positive health