Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention--
- Explain the relationship between positive
health behaviors and the prevention of injury, illness, disease, and premature death.
- Describe the interrelationship of mental, emotional, social, and physical health during adolescence.
- Explain how health is influenced by the interaction of body systems.
- Describe how family and peers influence the health of adolescents.
- Analyze how environment and personal health are interrelated.
- Describe ways to reduce risks related to
adolescent health problems.
- Explain how appropriate
health care can prevent premature death and disability.
- Describe how lifestyle, pathogens, family history,
and other risk factors are related to the cause or
prevention of disease and other health problems.
Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid health information and health-promoting products and services--
- Analyze the validity of health information,
products, and services.
- Demonstrate the ability to
utilize resources from home, school, and community that
provide valid health information.
- Analyze how media influences the selection of health information
- Demonstrate the ability to locate
health products and services.
- Compare the costs and validity of health products.
- Describe situations requiring professional health
Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and reduce health risks--
- Explain the importance of
assuming responsibility for personal health behaviors.
- Analyze a personal health assessment to
determine health strengths and risks.
- Distinguish between safe and risky or harmful behaviors in
- Demonstrate strategies to improve or maintain personal and family health.
- Develop injury prevention and management strategies for personal and family health.
- Demonstrate ways to avoid and reduce threatening situations.
- Demonstrate strategies to manage stress.
Students will analyze the influence of culture, media, technology, and other factors on health--
- Describe the influence of cultural beliefs on
health behaviors and the use of health services.
- Analyze how messages from media and other sources influence
- Analyze the influence of technology on personal and family health.
- Analyze how information from peers influences
Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health--
NPH-H.5-8.5 USING COMMUNICATION SKILLS TO PROMOTE HEALTH
- Demonstrate effective verbal and non-verbal
communication skills to enhance health.
- Describe how the behavior of family and peers affects
- Demonstrate healthy ways to express needs, wants and feelings.
- Demonstrate ways to communicate care, consideration,
and respect of self and others.
- Demonstrate communication skills to build and maintain healthy
- Demonstrate refusal and negotiation skills to enhance health.
- Analyze the possible causes of conflict among; youth in schools and
- Demonstrate strategies to manage conflict in healthy ways.
Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting and decision-making skills to enhance health--
- Demonstrate the ability to apply a decision- making
process to health issues and problems individually and
- Analyze how health-related
decisions are influenced by individuals, family, and community values.
- Predict how decisions
regarding health behaviors have consequences for self
- Apply strategies and skills needed to
attain personal health goals.
- Describe how personal health goals are influenced by changing
information, abilities, priorities, and
- Develop a plan that addresses
personal strengths, needs, and health risks.
Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health--
- Analyze various communication methods to accurately
express health information and ideas.
- Express information and opinions about health issues.
- Identify barriers to effective communication of
information, ideas, feelings, and opinions about health
- Demonstrate the ability to influence and support others in making positive health choices.
- Demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively
when advocating for healthy individuals, families, and