Roman Numeral Math
- Educational Technology
- Social Studies
3-5, 6-8, 9-12, Advanced
Students solve simple math problems using Roman numerals.
- learn about Roman numerals.
- solve simple math problems using Roman numerals.
- create charts of Roman numerals and their Arabic equivalents.
- use an online Roman numeral converter. (optional)
math, mathematics, Roman, numerals
Introduce students to Roman numerals. The following resources can be helpful:
After students have developed an understanding of Roman numerals, introduce the Doing Math the Roman Way student work sheet. Distribute a copy of this reproducible sheet to each student.
- Have some fun with Roman numerals using the online Roman Numeral Converter. If a classroom computer can be hooked up to a projector, you might use this tool to create a fun, whole-class interactive quiz game.
- Make a list of places where you have found Roman numerals used.
- Create a chart of Roman numerals and their Arabic equivalents. For example, I = 1. Students could create their own charts.
Students correctly solve at least eight of the ten Roman numeral math problems on this lesson's student work sheet.
Work Sheet Answers
1. XXI (21), 2. II (2), 3. XII (12), 4. XXXV (35), 5. VI (6), 6. C (100), 7. XXXI (31),
8. CLXXXII (182), 9. LX (60), 10. CDLXXXIV (484).
Lesson Plan Source
MATHEMATICS: Number and Operations
- GRADES 3 - 5
NM-NUM.3-5.1 Understand Numbers, Ways of Representing Numbers, Relationships Among Numbers, and Number Systems
NM-NUM.3-5.2 Understand Meanings of Operations and How They Relate to One Another
NM-NUM.3-5.3 Compute Fluently and Make Reasonable Estimates
- GRADES 6 - 8
NM-NUM.6-8.1 Understand Numbers, Ways of Representing Numbers, Relationships Among Numbers, and Number Systems
NM-NUM.6-8.2 Understand Meanings of Operations and How They Relate to One Another
NM-NUM.6-8.3 Compute Fluently and Make Reasonable Estimates
- GRADES 9 - 12
NM-NUM.9-12.1 Understand Numbers, Ways of Representing Numbers, Relationships Among Numbers, and Number Systems
NM-NUM.9-12.2 Understand Meanings of Operations and How They Relate to One Another
NM-NUM.9-12.3 Compute Fluently and Make Reasonable Estimates
SOCIAL SCIENCES: World History
- GRADES Pre-K - 12
NM-CONN.PK-12.1 Recognize and Use Connections Among Mathematical Ideas
NM-CONN.PK-12.3 Recognize and Apply Mathematics in Contexts Outside of Mathematics
- GRADES 5 - 12
NSS-WH.5-12.2 Early Civilizations and the Rise of Pastoral Peoples
NSS-WH.5-12.3 Classical Traditions, Major Religions, and Giant Empires
- GRADES K - 12
NT.K-12.1 Basic Operations and Concepts
See more lesson ideas in Education World's History Center
Return to the Bring Ancient History to Life! lesson plan page.
Originally published 08/23/2002
Last updated 09/22/2009