Principal Larry Davis emphasizes the importance of math by making Morning Math part of his school's morning routine. Two days a week during morning announcements, he poses "Mr. Davis Math Questions" to the students at Doctors Inlet Elementary School in Middleburg, Florida. Now, you can do the same in your school! Each week, Davis and Education World present two new sets of math questions for you to use to engage students and build math skills.
Click for ideas for using "Morning Math" to build math enthusiasm and skills
in your school.
Click to view our archive of Morning Math activities.
Replace Mr. Davis's name with your name in each of the math questions below...
Question Group 59
- Kindergarten: Mr. Davis saw 6 girls and 4 boys in line at the library counter. How many students did he see in line in all? (10 students)
- Grade 1: Mr. Davis was given 5 cents every hour. How much money does he have after 5 hours? (25 cents)
- Grade 2: Mr. Davis had a worm that was 14 inches long. The next day, it had grown to be 21 inches long. How much did it grow in one day? (7 inches)
- Grade 3: Mr. Davis works 40 hours a week. How many hours does he work in 4 weeks? (160 hours)
- Grade 4: Mr. Davis graded 140 papers. He noticed that 5 percent of the papers did not have names on them. How many papers did not have names on them? (7 papers)
- Grade 5: Mr. Davis had 5 fat cats. Four of the cats weighed 50 pounds each and the other cat weighed 40 pounds. What is the "mean" of the cats' total weight? (48 pounds)
- Grade 6: ) Mr. Davis bought 5 quarts of oil for his car. The oil costs .79 per quart. Mr. Davis had a coupon that saved him $1.50 on the total sale. How much did Mr. Davis pay for the 5 quarts of oil? ($2.45)
Question Group 60
- Kindergarten: Mr. Davis bought 5 piece of gum for 2 cents each. How much did he spend in all on gum? (10 cents)
- Grade 1: Mr. Davis found a quarter, 1 dime, and 2 nickels. How much money did he find? (45 cents)
- Grade 2: Mr. Davis bought an ice cream cone for 99 cents. How much would 2 ice cream cones cost? ($1.98)
- Grade 3: Mr. Davis uses 2 ounces of detergent to wash a pound of clothes. How many ounces of soap will he use to wash 9 pounds of clothes? (18 ounces)
- Grade 4: Mr. Davis bought a hot dog for $1.75 and a bag of chips for 75 cents. His friend bought 2 hot dogs and 2 bags of chips. How much more money did Mr. Davis's friend spend? ($2.50)
- Grade 5: Mr. Davis traveled 21,120 feet. How many miles did he travel? (4 miles)
- Grade 6: Mr. Davis saw a CD player. The sticker said the CD player cost $128, but a sign announced that it was on sale for "35% off." How much would the CD player cost after the discount? ($83.20)