Principal Larry Davis emphasizes the importance of math by making Morning Math part of his school's morning routine. Two days a week during morning announcements, he poses "Mr. Davis Math Questions" to the students at Doctors Inlet Elementary School in Middleburg, Florida. Now, you can do the same in your school! Each week, Davis and Education World present two new sets of math questions for you to use to engage students and build math skills.
Click for ideas for using "Morning Math" to build math enthusiasm and skills
in your school.
Click to view our archive of Morning Math activities.
Replace Mr. Davis's name with your name in each of the math questions below...
Question Group 29
- Kindergarten: Mr. Davis had 9 presents. He lost 6 of the presents. How many were left? (3 presents)
- Grade 1: Mr. Davis had 61 presents. He bought 15 more presents. How many presents did he have in all? (76 presents)
- Grade 2: Mr. Davis needs to know how many socks he must buy to put a sock on each of his eight dogs' paws? (32 socks)
- Grade 3: Mr. Davis had 120 presents. He gave away 116 of the presents. How many did he have left? (4 presents)
- Grade 4: Mr. Davis bought presents for 19 students. He gave each of those students a total of 12 presents. How many presents in all did he give away? (228 presents)
- Grade 5: Mr. Davis handed out presents on Tuesday. He handed out three presents every minute. How many presents did he give away in 1 hour? (180 presents)
- Grade 6: Mr. Davis has $3.26. He has 30 dimes and 2 other coins. What are the 2 other coins? (a quarter and a penny)
Question Group 30
- Kindergarten: Mr. Davis saw 8 American Indians at the powwow. Six of the Indians wore feathers. How many Indians wore no feathers? (2 Indians)
- Grade 1: Mr. Davis needs to know how many letters in the word Mayflower? (nine letters)
- Grade 2: Mr. Davis saw 8 Pilgrims. Each Pilgrim took 3 Indians to help him hunt. How many Indians in all did the Pilgrims take hunting with them? (24 Indians)
- Grade 3: Mr. Davis saw 167 Pilgrims and 98 Indians. How many more Pilgrims did he see? (69 Pilgrims)
- Grade 4: Mr. Davis fed 80 people on Thanksgiving day. He served 20 pounds of turkey meat. If the 20 pounds of meat was evenly divided among the 80 people, how much turkey meat did Mr. Davis serve each person? (-pound of turkey meat)
- Grade 5: Mr. Davis served Thanksgiving dinner to 37 people at 12:00 noon. He fed twice as many people at the 2:00 p.m. sitting. To how many people in all did Mr. Davis serve Thanksgiving dinner? (111 people)
- Grade 6: Mr. Davis ate -pound of turkey. His brother ate 15 times more! How much more turkey did his brother eat? (3- pounds more)