Podcasting and the News
Arts & Humanities
- Social Studies
Students listen to a news podcast and use a graphic organizer to record what they learn.
- Participate in a class discussion about podcasting.
- Access a podcast and practice using such features as pause, rewind, and fast-forward.
- Listen to a news podcast.
- Complete a graphic organizer about what they have learned from the news report.
podcast, news, current events, graphic organizer
computer(s) or mp3 players, Finding the Facts graphic organizer
or KWL Chart
- Begin by briefly introducing the term podcasts to students. (For background, see Podcasting Power for the People.)
- Help students access a NewsHour podcast or a favorite podcast of your own to become familiar with such features as pause, rewind, and fast-forward.
- Provide each student with a Finding the Facts graphic organizer or KWL Chart.
- Have students complete the graphic organizer as they listen to a podcast you have chosen.
As a follow-up activity, students might research the topic further and add information to their graphic organizers.
Students will be evaluated on the information in their graphic organizers and their understanding of podcasting as evidence in class discussions.
Lesson Plan Source
Adapted from lessons at PBSs NewsHour
SOCIAL SCIENCES: Geography
GRADES K - 12
NSS-G.K-12.2 Places and Regions
NSS-G.K-12.4 Human Systems
NSS-G.K-12.5 Environment and Society
NSS-G.K-12.6 Uses of Geography
SOCIAL SCIENCES: U.S. History
GRADES K - 4
NSS-USH.K-4.1 Living and Working together in Families and Communities, Now and Long Ago
GRADES K - 12
NT.K-12.3 Technology Productivity tools