A Math Card Game
Students worked hard all week? Do they deserve a special reward for a job well done? This activity will offer
students a nice break from structured learning. Adapt it to fit your needs. Have some Friday Fun!
- Deal out all the cards, an equal number to each player. The cards are left facedown in a pile in front of each player.
- The person to the dealer's left goes first, and play continues clockwise.
- The first person turns over a card and places it face up in the center of the play area.
- The next person turns over a card, adds it to the card already played, says the sum out loud, and places the card on top of the previously played card.
- The next person turns over a card and adds the card to the sum of the first two cards.
- Play continues in this way until someone has a card that when added will give a sum greater than 25. When that happens, the player must subtract rather than add.
- Play continues until someone gets a sum of exactly 25.
- The player who gets a sum of exactly 25 wins that round and goes first in the next round.
Teacher-Submitted Lesson Plan: Twenty-Five -- A Math Card Game
Education World (September 21, 2001)
Find links to more Friday Fun activity ideas in our Friday Fun archive.
Find more great learning games in our Learning Game Archive.
Article by Gary Hopkins
Copyright © 2006 Education World