Click for a PDF (printable document format) printable version of Hunt the Fact Monster Hunt # 8.
This is the Hunt the Fact Monster hunt for use in the intermediate grade (grades 4 to 8). If you are looking for primary-grade Hunt the Fact Monster hunts, see the Hunt the Fact Monster Archive.
Scroll down or click for an answer key to this hunt.
Thanks to the kind folks at Fact Monster for partnering with EducationWorld.com to bring you this fun and educational activity.
Answer Key for This Hunt
1. potato; 2. taxons; 3. Brazil; 4. England and France; 5. Babe; 6. 2002; 7. Dr. James Naismith; 8. Massachusetts; 9. a severe storm (cyclone); 10. red.
This Hunt's Questions
1. In the 1840's in Ireland, more than a million people starved to death when the country's main crop was struck by a killing fungus. What crop caused this famine?
2. When classifying animals, scientists put every living thing into seven groups. Another word for those seven groups begins with the letter t. What is that t word?
3. Which South American country is home to almost half of the world's rainforests?
4. Which two European countries are connected by the Channel Tunnel?
5. In American folklore, what was the name of Paul Bunyan's prized blue ox?
6. Most European countries used to have their own forms of money. Now many use the same money -- the euro -- to pay for goods. In which year did the euro become the everyday money used by people in those countries?
7. Who was the phys ed teacher who created the game of basketball?
8. Many people refer to Horace Mann as "the father of the American public school." In which U.S. state did Mann work hard to improve schools?
9. In Australia, to what does the term willy-willy refer?
10. Vietnam's flag has a yellow star in the center. What is the flag's background color?