Click for a PDF (printable document format) printable version of Hunt the Fact Monster Hunt # 2.
This is the Hunt the Fact Monster hunt for use in the intermediate grade (grades 4 to 8). If you are looking for primary-grade Hunt the Fact Monster hunts, see the Hunt the Fact Monster Archive.
Scroll down or click for an answer key to this hunt.
Thanks to the kind folks at Fact Monster for partnering with EducationWorld.com to bring you this fun and educational activity.
Answer Key for This Hunt
1. Sacramento; 2. Godey's Lady's Book; 3. continuous darkness; 4. those states receive much sunlight year-round or the temperatures there are so warm that they don't get benefit from an extra hour of daylight; 5. acceptable responses are soil, clay, or clay and straw; 6. fog; 7. plant eater (herbivore); 8. piccolo; 9. age 20 to 40; 10. she held the first press conference by a U.S. president's wife.
This Hunt's Questions
1. Many years ago -- before there were cars -- mail was delivered by horse. The Pony Express operated between St. Joseph, Missouri, and a city in California. What city was that?
2. In the United States, the first women's fashion magazine appeared around 1830. What was the title of that magazine?
3. Two conditions combine to make Antarctica the coldest place on Earth during the winter. One of those conditions is high altitude. What is the other?
4. In the United States, Daylight Saving Time is the practice of turning clocks ahead by one hour in the spring and back by one hour in the fall. Why do states such as Arizona and Hawaii choose not to participate?
5. Dried by the sun, adobe bricks have been used as building materials for centuries. Of what are adobe bricks made?
6. What type of weather results when the warm waters of the Gulf Stream meet cold winds from the north?
7. Was the dinosaur called Apatosaurus a meat eater (carnivore) or a plant eater (herbivore)?
8. Which instrument in the orchestra produces the highest notes -- the flute or the piccolo?
9. Multiple sclerosis is a disease in which the immune system attacks the body's nerve cells. At what age do symptoms of MS most usually appear?
10. First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt -- the wife of President Franklin Roosevelt -- held a first-of-its-kind event in 1933. What kind of event was that?