With Jane and Joanne
Multiplication Dice Toss
- multiplication facts to 36
- immediate recall
2 - 4 players of equal skill
- 2 dice
- counters -- pieces of cereal (Cheerios or Chex, for example) make good counters
Player 1 rolls the dice. Players multiply the two dice. The first player to say aloud the correct answer collects one counter and becomes the next dice roller.
If there is a tie -- if both players say the correct response at the exact same time -- then both players may pick up a counter.
Players must give back a counter for any incorrect answer that is called out.
After a set amount of time, players count up their counters. The player with the most
counters is the winner.
Play the game using multiplication facts to 144. In this version of the game, each player rolls 2 dice twice. The dice are added together and then multiplied.
- On the first roll, the player rolls a 6 and a 3, for a total of 9.
- On the second roll, the player rolls a 4 and a 7, for a total of 11.
- The first player who calls out the correct answer to 9 x 11 (99) earns a counter.
More About Box Cars and One-Eyed Jacks
Joanne Currah and Jane Felling
created their company, BOX CARS & ONE-EYED JACKS, for the sole purpose of making math fun -- not threatening
or frustrating -- for children. Joanne and Jane spend many days each year on the road as they train
teachers to make math fun for kids and run Family Math Nights at schools. To learn more about the authors,
their books, and the services they provide, visit them at www.boxcarsandoneeyedjacks.com
or email them at [email protected].
Copyright © 2006 Education World