With Jane and Joanne
Snap Two It -- Addition
Grade 2 - 3 and up
- place value -- 2-digit numbers
- adding 1-digit and 2-digit numbers
- playing cards Ace (=1) through 9
Divide the cards evenly between the two players. Each player turns over two cards and uses them to create a 2-digit number. The player says aloud his or her number.
Each player turns over a third card and adds the number on it to their 2-digit number.
- Player 1 draws a 9 and a 1; he says aloud his number, 91.
- Player 2 draws an 8 and a 3; she says aloud her number, 83.
- Player 1 draws a 7 and adds that number to his 2-digit number (91) for a total of 98.
- Player 2 draws a 4 and adds that number to her 2-digit number (83) for a total of 87.
The player with the highest number wins all of the cards. Play continues until one player collects all of the cards in the deck.
For advanced Grade 3 students and above: move up to 3-digit numbers. Add 2-digit numbers to them. Use playing cards Ace (=1) through 4 for addition problems that require no regrouping; use cards Ace (=1) through 9 for regrouping.
- Player 1 draws three cards -- a 2, an 8, and a 6 -- and uses them to create the 3-digit number 862.
- Player 1 draws two more cards -- a 4 and a 3 -- and uses them to create the 2-digit number 43.
- Player 1 adds the two numbers created (862 + 43) for a total of 905.
More About Box Cars and One-Eyed Jacks
Joanne Currah and Jane Felling
created their company, BOX CARS & ONE-EYED JACKS, for the sole purpose of making math fun -- not threatening
or frustrating -- for children. Joanne and Jane spend many days each year on the road as they train
teachers to make math fun for kids and run Family Math Nights at schools. To learn more about the authors,
their books, and the services they provide, visit them at www.boxcarsandoneeyedjacks.com
or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2006 Education World