With Jane and Joanne
Your Place or Mine?
Grades 4 - 6
- identifying place value from 10 000 - .000 01
- playing cards Ace (=1) through 9
- 2 dice
- BINGO chips, or another small marker
Each player takes six cards from the deck and uses them to make a 6-digit number face up. Each player rolls a die to determine where to place the decimal point in their number; if a 1 is rolled the decimal point is inserted before the last number in the string, if a 2 is rolled the decimal point is inserted before the next to the last number Players use BINGO chips, or another form of marker, to represent the decimal point between cards.
The players verbalize their numbers to one another.
Next, a die is rolled to determine who scores a point.
- An odd roll (1, 3, or 5) means that the lowest, or smallest, number scores the point.
- An even roll (2, 4, or 6) means that the player with the larger number scores the point.
- Player 1 arranges his six cards to form the number 641329.
- Player 2 arranges her six cards to form the number 526914.
- Player 1 rolls a 2 on the die; he places his decimal chip/marker to form the number 6413.29
- Player 2 rolls a 4 on the die; she places her decimal chip/marker to form the number 52.6914
- The die is rolled and a 5 (and odd number) comes up. That means the player with the lowest/smaller number wins the round. Player 2 scores one point because she has the smaller number.
Players draw six more cards and play again. Play continues until a set number of points is reached.
More About Box Cars and One-Eyed Jacks
Joanne Currah and Jane Felling
created their company, BOX CARS & ONE-EYED JACKS, for the sole purpose of making math fun -- not threatening
or frustrating -- for children. Joanne and Jane spend many days each year on the road as they train
teachers to make math fun for kids and run Family Math Nights at schools. To learn more about the authors,
their books, and the services they provide, visit them at www.boxcarsandoneeyedjacks.com
or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2006 Education World