Basketball for Better Verse
Students write poems about basketball.
Students practice writing poetry.
Gather poems about basketball, including the following:
Defending Walt Whitman
Above the Rim
My Poem About Basketball
The Ex-Basketball Player
- Have students read, or read aloud to students, a selection of poems about basketball.
- Discuss the imagery and emotions in the poems.
- Ask students to help create a list of basketball terms.
- Brainstorm with students a list of words describing the sport of basketball or describing their feelings when watching or playing the game.
- Ask students to write poems about basketball.
Evaluate students on the form of their poems and the appropriateness of the content.
Lesson Plan Source