African American Inventors and Inventions
- Language Arts
- Social Sciences
- U.S. History
Students learn about inventions created by African Americans and complete a work sheet about the information learned.
- define the words invention, inventor, and patent;
- demonstrate ability to research information about African American inventors, using Internet or library print sources;
- use the information to correctly complete a work sheet about African American inventors and their inventions.
African American, inventors, inventions, information, reading comprehension
- Discuss the meanings of the words invention, inventor, and patent. Tell students that African Americans invented many of the devices we use today and used in the past.
- Provide each student with a copy of the Education World teaching master African American Inventors and Inventions and copies of printouts from Index of African American Inventors.
- Have students use information on the Partial List of African American Inventors Web page to complete the work sheet.
Variation for younger students: Work together as a class to complete the work sheet.
Variation for older students: Organize students into small groups. Tell students they must use print sources only, such as library books, magazines, or textbooks, to find the answers to the questions on the work sheet.
Extensions for older students: Have students research additional inventions developed by African Americans from
Have students use print or online sources to learn background information about some of the inventors on those Web pages.
Evaluate students' work sheet answers.
1. True, 2. True, 3. False, 4. True, 5. False, 6. True, 7.True, 8. False, 9. True, 10. True.
Lesson Plan Source
Last updated 1/10/2017