African American History Mural
Click here to return to the lesson planning article.
- Arts and Humanities
- Social Sciences
- U.S. History
Students create a mural of famous African Americans.
- define the word mural,
- draw pictures of famous African Americans in history,
- work together to create a mural.
African American, history, mural
- teacher- and/or student-researched information and pictures of famous African Americans from print sources and/or online sources
- small slips of paper
- a pen or marker
- a plastic bag, paper bag, or small box
- art materials (crayons, markers, paint, etc.)
- construction paper
- a roll of large paper (any color)
- computers with Internet access (optional)
Prior to the lesson:
- Research print sources for pictures of famous African Americans or print out pictures from the links at Encyclopedia Britannica's Guide to Black History (click the link to Biographies).
- Write the names of the people students will draw on the mural on slips of paper. Put the slips in a bag or small box.
- Explain the meaning of the word mural. If possible, show students examples of murals from art books or other sources.
- Tell students that they are going to create a mural showing famous African Americans in history. Have students view pictures of famous African Americans.
- After students have viewed the pictures, let each student pull from the bag or box the name of a person he or she will draw on the mural.
- Distribute drawing materials. Have students draw and color their pictures on construction paper.
- Have students cut out their pictures. (Assist those who might have trouble using scissors.)
- Unroll the large paper to the length desired. Have students paste the pictures in different spots on the roll. Display the mural on a classroom wall or in a hallway.
- Assign each student the person he or she must draw for the mural.
- Focus the mural on a specific theme; for example, create a mural about the civil rights movement or create a mural showing African American leaders, scientists, writers, or famous women.
- Have older students research the pictures for the mural using print or online sources.
Observe and evaluate students' participation in the project.
Lesson Plan Source