Famous African Americans ABC Book
Help students create an ABC book with short biographies of famous African Americans in history.
- define the word biography,
- learn about famous African Americans in history,
- use the letters of the alphabet to create an ABC book about famous African Americans.
African Americans, famous, ABC book, history
- teacher-selected and/or student-researched library sources about African Americans in history
- printouts from sites listed in the lesson
- construction or drawing paper
- drawing materials, such as markers or crayons
- pens or pencils
Suggestion: You may want to complete this activity in two lessons.
- Ask students to name some famous African Americans they have studied.
- Read aloud to students background information about some famous African Americans in history from library sources.
- Discuss the meaning of the word biography. Tell students that each person will create a one-page biography for a class ABC book about famous African Americans in history.
- Assign each student one famous African American. Have students check library sources or provide printouts of information about African Americans.
- Distribute construction or drawing paper and drawing materials.
- Have each younger student draw a picture of the assigned person and write a few words about the person under the picture. Have each older student draw the person and write several paragraphs about the person under the picture.
- When all the pages are finished, arrange them in ABC order. Have students brainstorm a title for the book and a design for the cover.
Variation: Focus the book on a specific theme in black history; for example, create an ABC book about African American leaders, scientists, writers, or famous women.
Evaluate each student's contribution to the book.
Lesson Plan Source
Links last updated 12/30/2014