Romare Bearden-Style Collages
- Visual Arts
- Social Sciences
- U.S. History
Students create collages in the style of African American artist Romare Bearden.
- define the word collage,
- learn about African American artist Romare Bearden,
- view examples of collages by Romare Bearden,
- create a collage following the examples of Romare Bearden.
collage, artist, Romare Bearden, African American
- old magazines and newspapers
- teacher-selected print resources about Romare Bearden or printouts from the sites listed in the lesson
- different colored construction paper
- glue or paste
- computers with Internet access and color printer or print resources about Romare Bearden and pictures of his collages
- Discuss the meaning of the word collage.
- Explain that one famous African American artist who often used the collage technique was Romare Bearden. Read aloud selected background information about Bearden from this Romare Bearden biography.
- Show students examples of Bearden's work from art books or from one or more of the following sites. Or, if a color printer is available, print out some examples from one or more of the sites.
NGA: The Art of Romare Bearden
Bearden Foundation: The Art of Romare Bearden
ArtCyclopedia: Romare Bearden
- Discuss some of the themes and items in Bearden's collages. Explain that he used a variety of materials in his collages, including items cut from magazines and newspapers.
- Distribute the old magazines and newspapers you saved. Distribute the art materials.
- Have students create their own collages following the examples on display.
Evaluate students' participation and completed collages.
Lesson Plan Source
Last updated 1/9/2017