Students clip coupons for food items, create a menu using those items, and add up the total savings.
- list foods for a specific meal of the day: breakfast, lunch, or dinner;
- locate and clip coupons on food items on their lists;
- correctly calculate the total amount of money that would be saved if they used the coupons.
newspaper, coupons, costs, cutting, money, menu, meal, breakfast, lunch, dinner
writing or construction paper
- tape or glue
- Assign each student a meal of the day. Have students create and write down a menu of at least three foods they would prepare for that meal.
- Have each student find and clip coupons from a newspaper for the items on his or her menu, including the items needed to prepare the meal. For example, if pancakes are on the menu, students must find coupons for pancake mix or flour, eggs, milk, etc.
- Have students add up the total amount they saved with the coupons.
- Have students paste the coupons under the menus.
Extension: Have students add up the total amount saved from all the coupons used by the class.
Evaluate students' menus, coupon choices, and calculations.
Lesson Plan Source