- Language Arts
- Ed. Technology
Students work in small groups to create editorial cartoons about topics in the news.
Students study and develop editorial cartoons. Students work together in cooperative groups.
newspaper, editorial, cartoon
Materials needed[shop materials]
- examples of editorial cartoons from various newspapers or from PoliticalCartoons.com
- current news topics written on 3-in. by 5-in. index cards
- a paper bag
- drawing paper
- crayons, colored pencils, or markers
- a computer drawing program, such as HyperStudio (optional)
- Show students examples of political cartoons from different sources. Discuss the cartoons. Ask students what they think the cartoonist's intent or main point was in each one.
- Divide the class into small groups. Have each group choose a card from the bag.
- Tell students that each group must work together to create an editorial cartoon on the topic noted on the card.
- When the cartoons are complete, have each group present and explain its cartoon to the class.
Variation: Have each group create a cartoon using HyperStudio or another computer-drawing program.
Evaluate students' cartoons and presentations.
Lesson plan source