- Language Arts
- Ed. Technology
Students work in small groups to create editorial cartoons about topics in
Students study and develop editorial cartoons. Students work together
in cooperative groups.
newspaper, editorial, cartoon
- examples of editorial cartoons from various newspapers or from
- current news topics written on 3-in. by 5-in. index cards
- a paper bag
- drawing paper
- crayons, colored pencils, or markers
- a computer drawing program, such as HyperStudio (optional)
- Show students examples of political cartoons from different sources. Discuss the cartoons. Ask students what they think the cartoonist's intent or main point was in each one.
- Divide the class into small groups. Have each group choose a card from the bag.
- Tell students that each group must work together to create an editorial cartoon on the topic noted on the card.
- When the cartoons are complete, have each group present and explain its cartoon to the class.
Variation: Have each group create a cartoon using HyperStudio or another computer-drawing program.
Evaluate students' cartoons and presentations.
Lesson Plan Source