Students create tinfoil self-portraits in the style of Frida Kahlo, a famous
Students demonstrate abilities in using common materials to create self-portraits
in the style of Frida Kahlo.
self-portrait, Mexico, painter, Frida Kahlo, tinfoil, folk art
- printouts of the first page of Frida Kahlo: The Bold Artist
- 12-inch by 18-inch cardboard (one per student)
- soap flakes or liquid hand soap
- tempera paint
- white glue
- student-chosen items (see lesson plan)
- Distribute printouts of the background information about Frida Kahlo. Read the information to students, or ask several students to read the printout aloud. Discuss the examples of Kahlo's style on the page.
- Link to the Student Activity: Retablo-Style Self-Portraits (scroll down the page for the lesson) that follows the background information page.
Observe students' participation, and evaluate their self-portraits.
Lesson Plan Source
Juniper Learning, Inc.