FALL-ing for Riddles
This fun October-themed bulletin board can help build students' thinking skills.
All students love a good riddle. For this matching-activity bulletin board, students match the riddle questions (numbered 1 to 10) on the left side of the bulletin board with the riddle answers (numbered a to j) on the right.
Collect ten grade-appropriate autumn- or October-themed riddles from joke books and Web sites. (Some possible riddles are listed below.) Post the riddle questions long the left side of a bulletin board. Post the riddle answers (out of sequence) on the right side. Students use their thinking skills to match the riddles with the answers.
- attach pieces of yarn that students can use to link each riddle to its answer.
- write the riddles and responses on leaf-shaped patterns to carry the fall theme into the design of the bulletin board.
This bulletin board can be adapted for use at almost any time of the year.
Riddles for Your Consideration
Riddles for Young Students
- What do you see in fall, but not in summer, winter, or spring? (The letter f.)
- What did Baby Corn say to Mama Corn? (Where's Papa Corn?)
- Why do birds fly south in the fall? (Because it's too far to walk.)
- What do ghosts serve for dessert? (I scream.)
- What do you use to mend a jack-o-lantern? (A pumpkin patch.)
- What garden vegetable do you find under an elephant's foot? (Squash.)
- What is the favorite game at a ghost's birthday party? (Hide and shriek.)
Riddles for Older Students
- Why did the farmer bury his money? (Because he wanted rich soil.)
- I appear once in summer, twice in autumn, but never in winter. What am I? (The letter u.)
- What do witches put on their hair? (Scare spray.)
- What do skeletons say before they begin dining? (Bone appetit!)
- What was the witch's favorite subject in school? (Spell-ing.)
- What do you call a friendly dead Egyptian? (A chummy mummy.)
- Why do vampires need mouthwash? (They have bat breath.)
MORE RESOURCES FROM EDUCATION WORLD
Find more bulletin board ideas in our Bulletin Boards That Teach Archive.
See these articles about bulletin boards:
From "Pretty" to Practical: Using Bulletin Boards to Teach
Your Search for Bulletin Board Ideas Is Over
And don't miss these resources:
Holidays & Special Days Center
Education World Coloring Calendars
Copyright Â© 2007 Education World