Click for a PDF (printable document format) printable version of Hunt the Fact Monster Hunt # 9.
This is the Hunt the Fact Monster hunt for use in the intermediate grade (grades 4 to 8). If you are looking for primary-grade Hunt the Fact Monster hunts, see the Hunt the Fact Monster Archive.
Scroll down or click for an answer key to this hunt.
Thanks to the kind folks at Fact Monster for partnering with EducationWorld.com to bring you this fun and educational activity.
Answer Key for This Hunt
1. Answers may vary -- 35,798 feet deep (http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/world/A0831808.html) or 36,201 feet (http://www.factmonster.com/ipd/A0529167.html); 2. the wishbone, or furcula; 3. 1870; 4. centerbrain; 5. krill; 6. Abigail Adams; 7. the foot; 8. Colombia; 9. the date changes when it is crossed; 10. trumpet.
This Hunt's Questions
1. The deepest spot on Earth is the Marianas Trench. How many miles deep is it?
2. Tyrannosaurus Sue is the most complete T. rex ever found. What part of her skeleton supports the theory that birds evolved from dinosaurs?
3. Austin is the capital city of Texas. In what year did Austin become Texas's capital?
4. The brain has three major parts. Which of the parts listed below is not one of those parts? Circle the brain part that does not exist: centerbrain - forebrain - hindbrain - midbrain
5. On what tiny shrimplike crustacean does much of Antarctica's large sea life (including whales, seals and penguins) depend for food?
6. Which first lady was the wife of the second president and the mother of the sixth president? Circle the name of that first lady below: Martha Washington - Abigail Adams - Louisa Adams
7. At one time, poulaines were a popular fashion item. On what part of the body was a poulaine worn?
8. The deep green emerald is a popular jewel. In what South American country have emeralds been mined for more than 400 years?
9. The international date line is an imaginary line that runs through the Pacific Ocean from the North Pole to the South Pole. Why is it important? Circle the reason below: it's near the equator - the date changes when it is crossed - ships can't cross it
10. Two of the three musical instruments below have similar characteristics. Which instrument does not belong? Circle that instrument: dulcimer - trumpet - zither