- The first team of professional baseball players, was the Cincinnati Red Stockings.
- The first girls of summer, women who were paid to play baseball'
competed in their first game in 1875.
- In the 1870s, an American woman could not vote.
- In the 1890s, scores of "Bloomer Girls" baseball teams
were formed all over the country.
- Women played league baseball in skirts.
- Stadiums which are at a high altitudes have much thinner air,
so the ball flies much farther."
- The "sweet spot" on a bat is located at the base of the bat.
- The first bat was made in Illinois.
- Bats are made out of pine trees.
- Bats are made thicker and heavier today than they were when Babe
Ruth played baseball.
- Players have also been known to rub their bats with ham bones or
- Through the mid-1800s, players still fielded the ball barehanded.
- The Japanese invented baseball.
- Japanese games are won by bunts and walks.
- A major league pitcher can throw a baseball up to 145mph.
© 2000 by Education World®. Permission is granted to teachers to reproduce this skill page for classroom use.