Arts & Humanities
Reinforce nouns, verbs, and adjectives with this fast-paced activity.
- identify nouns, verbs, and adjectives.
- differentiate between nouns, verbs, and adjectives.
- create lists of words that fit the part of speech and theme of the activity.
noun, verb, adjective, parts of speech, game
Fill a class lesson (or a few moments to spare) by asking students to
- in 2 minutes, list as many nouns as you can that begin with the letter C.
- in 2 minutes, list as many verbs as you can that begin with the letter M.
- in 2 minutes, list as many adjectives as you can that describe foods you eat.
Allow time after the activity for students to share words on their lists. Create a class list of words that match each theme.
Adapt This Activity
More Parts-of-Speech Race Ideas
You might allow students to work in pairs to complete this activity.
You might provide dictionary practice by allowing students to use their dictionaries.
Change the letters and the adjective topics to provide additional parts-of-speech reinforcement. Following are some more quick ideas that follow this format:
- List as many nouns as you can that have a long i sound, are names for animals, or might be seen in school.
- List as many verbs as you can that are things you might do on an athletic field, in a kitchen, as you sleep, or in a church or synagogue.
- List as many adjectives as you can that describe a haunted house, your state, the beach, or the clothes in your closet at home.
Do the words on students lists correspond to the theme (part of speech and topic)? Note those students who still need additional practice in identifying/differentiating nouns, verbs, and adjectives; create a small group and provide additional reinforcement.
Lesson Plan Source
LANGUAGE ARTS: English
GRADES K - 12
NL-ENG.K-12.3 Evaluation Strategies
NL-ENG.K-12.6 Applying Knowledge
NL-ENG.K-12.8 Developing Research Skills
NL-ENG.K-12.12 Applying Language Skills
More Lesson Ideas
Find links to more language arts and reading lesson ideas in these Education World archives: Language Arts Subject Center
Daily Lesson Plans -- Language Arts & Reading
Lesson Planning/Language Arts Archive
Curriculum/Language Arts Archive
Language & Literature Subject Center
Teacher-Submitted Lessons -- Language Arts and Literature
Every-Day Edits (Printable Work Sheets)
Writing Bug Story Starters (Printable Work Sheets)
More Language Arts Printable Work Sheets
Strategies That Work
Read Across America Day (March)
National Poetry Month (April)
Childrens Book Week (November)
Special Days & Holidays Lessons
Copyright© 2010 Education World