- Arts & Humanities
Several ideas for creating a holiday wreath ornament.
- follow instructions correctly.
- work neatly.
- clean up area after the complete the project.
wreath, holiday, Christmas
- liquid white glue
- green food coloring
- cereal (oatmeal, corn flakes, oat-o's, crumpled up shredded wheat) or rice
- wax paper
- plastic container tops, one per student (tops from margarine tubs, large yogurt, ricotta cheese, and other similar containers will work)
- tiny red candies (for example, Red Hots® candy)
- ribbon for a bow
- digital camera (optional)
Here we provide several ideas for creating a festive holiday wreath ornament. Detailed instructions for one ornament appear below. If that ornament idea isn't feasible, we have provided links to several alternative wreath ornament ideas at the bottom of this section.
To make this wreath, gather the materials in the Materials Needed section above.
- Add green food coloring to the liquid glue to achieve the color of a natural wreath, a deep green.
- Add cereal (oatmeal, corn flakes, oat-o's, crumpled up shredded wheat) or rice to the glue mixture until it is coated and gooey in texture.
- Lay the wax paper over the plastic container top and press the wax paper to conform to the shape of the container top.
- Press the cereal/rice and glue mixture into the plastic container "template" to form an O-shaped wreath.
- Press red candies (for example, Red Hots® candy) into the wreath; they will serve as wreath berries/decoration.
- Let the wreath dry overnight.
- When dry, wrap yarn around the top of the wreath to form a loop for hanging.
- Add a bow to cover the yarn.
- If you wish, take a digital photo of each student and place the image so that the child's face appears in the center of the wreath. Glue to the back of the wreath to secure it in place.
More Wreath Ornament Ideas
Puzzle-Pieces Wreath Ornament
Popcorn Wreath Ornament
Did students follow directions?
Lesson Plan Source
FINE ARTS: Visual Arts
GRADES K - 4
NA-VA.K-4.1 Understanding and Applying Media, Techniques, and Processes
GRADES 5 - 8
NA-VA.5-8.1 Understanding and Applying Media, Techniques,
See more Lesson Plans of the Day in our Lesson Plan of the Day Archive. (There you can search for lessons by subject too.)
For additional holiday lesson plans, see our Holidays Archive.
For additional lessons in the arts, see these Education World resources:
Copyright© 2005 Education World
Originally published 11/29/2005
Last updated 11/24/2008