DIRECTIONS: Find the answers to the questions below using Internet and printed resouce materials.
- Who was the first European to explore the Mississippi River? __________________________________________________________________
In what year did he first explore the Mississippi? __________________________
- About how long is the Mississippi River? ________________________________
- Where does the Upper Mississippi River begin and end? __________________________________________________________________
Where does the Lower Mississippi begin and end? __________________________________________________________________
- How many people in the United States rely on the Mississippi River and its tributaries for drinking water? _________________________________________
- How did the Mississippi River get its name? __________________________________________________________________
What does the name mean? ___________________________________________
- What famous document made most of the area along the Mississippi the property of the United States? ________________________________________________
- What is the "Mississippi flyway"? _________________________________________________________________
- How many states does the Mississippi River flow through? __________________
What are those states? _______________________________________________
- What are the Mississippi headwaters? ___________________________________
- What famous Delta Blues musician gets his name from the lower portion of the Mississippi River? __________________________________________________
© 2000 by Education World®. Education World grants teachers permission to reproduce this work sheet for educational purposes only.