DIRECTIONS: Read "Why Leaves Change Color" on the Internet at http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/misc/leaves/leaves.htm.
Then read each statement below. Write T on the line next to each true statement. Write F on the line next to each false statement.
- _____ Both the length of night and changing temperatures affect autumn leaf color.
- _____ Chlorophyll gives leaves their green color.
- _____ Carotenoids give corn and carrots their colors.
- _____ Leaves of many trees contain both chlorophyll and carotenoids.
- _____ Leaves produce more chlorophyll as autumn days pass.
- _____ Oak trees' leaves are usually among the first to change color.
- _____ The best weather conditions for great fall colors include cool days and freezing nights.
- _____ The needles of an evergreen tree survive for years partly because they are covered with a heavy wax coating.
- _____ Evergreen needles fall off from old age.
- _____ The fluid the leaves of many trees is a thin watery sap that freezes.
© 1999 by Education World®. Permission is granted to teachers to reproduce this skill page for classroom use.