DIRECTIONS: Study The Civil War Home Page: Troop Losses (http://www.civil-war.net/pages/troops_furnished_losses.html) to discover the number of Union soldiers from each state who died during the Civil War. Use the information to answer the questions below.
- Which state had the most deaths during the Civil War? _____________________
- How many people from Iowa died in accidents during the war? ______________
- How many residents of California died of disease or accident? _______________
- How many people in Pennsylvania died of causes not related to battle? ________
- How many more people died in Missouri than in Connecticut? _______________
- What percentage of the deaths in Dakota were battle-related? ________________
- How many residents of Tennessee did not die of disease? ___________________
- About what percentage of generals or their staff who died during the Civil War were killed or mortally wounded? _______
- Which state had the most prisoner of war deaths? __________________________
- How many U.S. citizens died during the Civil War? ________________________
© 2009 by Education World®. Permission is granted to teachers to reproduce this skill page for classroom use.