Hanukkah Fun: The Dreidel Game
Arts & Humanities
K-2, 3-5, 6-8
Students create dreidels, traditional Hanukkah toys, from common materials and play the dreidel game!
- learn about the history of the dreidel.
- follow directions to create dreidels from common materials.
- follow the rules to play the dreidel game.
December, holiday, Hanukkah, Chanukah, dreidel, tradition, custom, game
Computer(s) with Internet access or printouts of resources in the Lesson Plan section below. See specific resources in Lesson section for other possible materials.
- Begin the lesson by discussing the history of Hanukkah and the dreidel, using information from teacher-selected resources or from Torah Tots.
- Tell students that they will create their own dreidels and learn to play the dreidel game.
- Print directions for making paper dreidels; directions are available online at Chanukah On the Net -- Dreidel Pattern. You also might let students make dreidels from milk cartons or boxes, following the directions at Hanukkah Crafts & Recipes: Dreidels.
- After students create their dreidels, have students learn the rules for the dreidel game, using teacher-selected resources or printouts from one of the following sites.
- Organize students into small groups to play the dreidel game.
Evaluate students' ability to follow directions in creating dreidels and playing the dreidel game.
Lesson Plan Source
Copyright © 2014, 2015 Education World