Students learn about the Milky Way galaxy and create a mobile.
Students learn that there are galaxies beyond the Milky Way.
galaxy, mobile, space
- 12-inch (family size) or 7-inch (individual size) round cardboard from frozen pizza box or circle cut from a cardboard box
- 4 large sheets (11 inches x 17 inches) black construction paper
- glitter -- gold, silver, red, orange, yellow, blue, purple, or any other colors you like
- white glue
- paintbrush, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide
- thread (black is best) or fine nylon fishing line
- small, 4-holed button
- large, sturdy sewing needle
- 16 sequins or very small beads, black is best (optional)
- tape measure or yard (meter) stick
- pattern for galaxies (available online)
- print and/or online resources about the Milky Way
Follow the Recipe for a Galactic Mobile provided at the site.
Lesson Plan Source