Students play a timed game to locate guide words in a dictionary.
- define the term guide words .
- locate guide words on specific dictionary pages.
- work together in cooperative groups.
dictionary, guide words, game, timed
dictionaries (one per pair of students), paper, pens or pencils, teacher-made work sheets that list words beginning with different letters of the alphabet, answer key
- Ask students to describe the term guide words and give examples.
- Organize students into pairs. Give each group one dictionary and a teacher-made work sheet that has a list of words beginning with different letters of the alphabet.
- Tell students to look up each word on the list. Tell students they have X minutes to locate and write down the guide words that appear at the top of the page for each word and the page numbers the guide words fall on. (Vary time limit according to students' ages and abilities.)
At the end of the time limit, give students the answers from the answer key and have them check their own work. Evaluate students' responses and abilities to work together in cooperative groups.
Lesson Plan Source