Students create and perform a play based on an adaptation of an Australian
legend about the kangaroo.
- define the words legend and wombat .
- discuss prior knowledge about kangaroos.
- read and discuss a legend.
- write and perform a play based on a legend.
Australia, legend, kangaroo, pouch, play, drama
- Discuss the meaning of the word legend . Ask students what they know about kangaroos. List their responses on the board.
- Show students a picture of a wombat from a library source or printed from the site noted above.
- Distribute the printouts of the legend "Kangaroo Gets a Pouch." Tell students that they are going to read a legend from Australia about the kangaroo and its pouch.
- Students and teacher take turns reading the legend aloud. Stop after a few paragraphs to discuss what was read in each section.
- After reading the story, have students brainstorm how they might turn the story into a play. Brainstorm ideas for a narrator, characters, dialogue, costumes, and scenery. Have the whole class work together on the project, culminating with a classroom performance attended by students from other classes and parents.
Evaluate students' reading, comprehension, speaking skills, and abilities to work
together as a group.
Lesson Plan Source